Thursday, June 26, 2008

It Was Really Worth It! Thanks!

As this class ends, I would take this opportunity to claim that it has been a privilege to take part in it. Not only did it help me understand the different elements involved when dealing with race and gender, it also provided me with the tools necessary to better screen the images of the media.

The way the class was set, giving each student an opportunity to give his/her opinion and allowing all of us to have different perspectives through dyads and contributions, has definitely reached my expectations. In fact, this class dealt with important topics such as race and gender and we were so lucky to take this class in an historical moment through primary elections featuring black and female candidates.

The topic of race is mainly difficult to deal with as it always primarily appears uncomfortable. Yet, with the help of the instructor, I could say that all the students have found their way to understanding that race and gender are issues worth debating and debates would help us better probe the different problems this country is facing when dealing with minorities.

One of the most important concepts that I actually came across in this class is the concept of White privilege. White privilege is all around us but I never paid attention to it until we get to it deeper in this class. It helped me understand the frustration of minorities who also have their own privileges as males also have it in relation to gender issues.

Over all this class has been an enriching experience. It definitely helps me use critical lenses as far as the images we are getting from the media are concerned. The media are just giving us what they want to give us, reason why media literacy will stand as an antidote to the negative side of what the media are offering. I will definitely recommend this class to all my friends so that they could benefit from this experience.

No comments: