Wednesday, June 18, 2008

ON THE OCCASION OF TIM RUSSERT'S WAKE TODAY


I wrote this ealier but I did not post it. I just wanted to share it with you guys!


When I clicked on CNN homepage that day, I was just thinking about political news, not really expecting to know about the sudden death of a man of news, Tim Russert. I was really stunned and incapable to click on the link to continue to read the story. America has lost one of his most prominent advocates of balanced journalism; I would say journalism per se.
Tim will be remembered as the one who always endeavored to make political journalism a way to influence and at the same time change Washington for the whole benefit of this country he loved and cherished so much. As a future actor in the media arena, Tim will definitely constitute the mirror with which I will always look at myself to evaluate what I’m doing wrong or right. He will remain a perennial source of inspiration in my future career. During the 17 years he served as “Meet the Press” host he was able to remain unanimously appreciated among all political actors of this country. His fairness and openness to all his guests; regardless of political color, religion and culture will definitely inspire younger generations of journalists in particular; and all the future media actors in general.

Tim was a champion of diversity. In fact he helped a lot of minority journalists jostle their way in a carrier that has never been obvious by providing them with the assurance and tools they needed to reach higher levels. When other journalists remained skeptical about new journalists’ capabilities, Tim always stood as a counselor, an opportunity giver to them. As he said in his book, the most good somebody can do to himself is to believe in himself. Now, as we lost a guide and a man of inspiration, the best way to make his appeal vivid and the best way to remember him is to make his positive attitude, professionalism and fairness our everyday creed. I hope he will remain an opportunity for our own betterment right in the threshold of a fresh career in the media. (RIP TIM).

1 comment:

Communicator said...

He believed in fairness. There is an interesting interview with Gwen Ifill, from PBS on "Meet the Press" She discussed Don Imus. It was a great opportunity to see his fairness and his desire to do the right thing in reality.